Statement of Purpose
Za-Granizza (from Russian 'abroad') is a non-for-profit project-publication
that set out to achieve a few important goals:
Za-Granizza's mode of operation combines freedom and
quality, trying to find the golden mean. In so doing, it maintains three venues
for creative texts:
- Preservation of high standards of Russian intellectual culture across
political, religious and professional barriers.
- Melting together the humanism of the great Russian art and literature
with objectivity, honesty and temperament of the best of Western journalism.
- Inviting the Russian intellectuals into American ways and mores by
publishing essays on everyday life written by recent immigrants that succeeded
in straddling the gap between the two great cultures.
Za-Granizza appreciates essays on any theme, providing
any one of them gives the readers insights either into the factual or emotional
or philosophical undercurrent of events, that are also written in a fresh,
literate, streamlined language.
- It has a group of established journalists
- It solicits texts of professional writers
- It allows free posting of news and imaginative texts with post-factum,
'affirmatory' editing, which guaranties that any text available to the public
meets certain standards in style and effectiveness
Za-Granizza particularly appreciates reviews on the events
of the Art and Letters that do not necessarily belong to the mainstream in
order to not repeat the coverage available in big publications whether online
or printed. In any case, it invites reviews with original and clearly expressed
points of view; the invitation to a discussion or a strong opinion being
not a problem.
(c) Za-Granizza 2000-2003